Through the courage, integrity, and dignity of one man, the hopes of the poor, the minority, and the physically disabled citizens of our United States of America have soared to great heights. Carl Brashear's life has been documented in the Hollywood hit movie, 'Men of Honor'. He also has a United States Naval ship named in his honor, an extraordinary exhibit hall in the Nauticus Maritime Center in Norfolk, Virginia, a state of the art firefighting vessel named in his honor, serving on the James River in Newport News Virginia, and a brand new Conference Center located on the Little Creek Amphibious Base in Virginia Beach, Va. These are just a few of the many nation-wide honors bestowed upon this great American.
Phillip and his older brother Dawayne are working diligently on forming the Carl Brashear Foundation. The initial goal of this organization is to display Carl's amazing legacy in a few of the nation's most prominent museums. The Nauticus Maritime Center in Norfolk, Va. was the first to honor this true American hero. Other museums of interest are the Smithsonian and Navy Museums in the Washington D.C. area and the Great Blacks in Wax in Baltimore, Md. In conjunction with the museum displays, contributions will also be made in his name to various Veteran Administration Hospitals throughout the country as well as other charitable groups directed towards children and young adults. We would also invite the opportunity to sponsor educational scholarships in Carl Brashear's name. With the help of charitable contributions towards this cause, many will be able to continually be inspired by the determination against all odds that Master Chief Master Diver Carl M. Brashear exhibited during his life.
With God's love upon us, no dream is impossible!
Carl Brashear Foundation
Phillip and his older brother Dawayne are working diligently on forming the Carl Brashear Foundation. The initial goal of this organization is to display Carl's amazing legacy in a few of the nation's most prominent museums. Museums of interest are the Smithsonian and Navy Museums in the Washington D.C. area. Carl Brashear was such a local hero in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. The Hampton Roads Museum located inside the Nauticus Maritime Center in downtown Norfolk, VA, is definitely another prime location for admirers to view one of the most celebrated African-American military legends. In conjunction with the museum displays, contributions will also be made in his name to various Veteran's Hospitals throughout the country. With the help of charitable contributions towards this cause, many will be able to continually be inspired by the determination against all odds that Master Chief Master Diver Carl M. Brashear exhibited during his life.
- Mail: P.O.Box 293 Sandston Va. 23150
- eMail: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Thank you for your interest and take care,
Dawayne and Phillip Brashear
Glenda Arrington tapped to be the new Secretary of the Carl Brashear Foundation
Ms. Arrington, born in Norfolk, Virginia, received her undergraduate degree from Howard University and her graduate degree from Old Dominion University. Ms. Arrington's professional career began in 1981 working in private practice as a licensed Dental Hygienist. In 1983, she joined civil service working for the Department of Defense. She currently works in Washington, DC as the Deputy, Inspectors General. Ms. Arrington held positions as Head of Health Data Management Department, Norfolk, VA; Healthcare Delivery Systems and Revised Finance, Portsmouth, VA; and Command Evaluation, Portsmouth, Virginia. She also served as Chief Investigating Official, Portsmouth, VA and Chief Analyst of Assessment and Evaluation programs, Norfolk, VA. She worked as an Audit Project Manager, Washington, DC as well as program analyst for the Joint Innovation and Experimentation for Warfighting Challenges, Suffolk, VA. Ms. Arrington served at Division Head for Individual Augmentee Sailor and Family Support of non-traditional deployment for Overseas Contingency Operations. Ms. Arrington developed the United States Navy Ethos creed. Ms. Arrington was featured in the American Dental Hygiene Association Access Magazine.
Glenda was the creator and director of the Carl Brashear Life Celebration held at the Brashear Conference Center at Little Creek Amphibious Base in July 2011. She coordinated the attendance of the Honorable L. Douglas Wilder, former Governor of the State of Virginia, Admiral John C. Harvey, United States Fleet Forces Command, and Rear Admiral Frank A. Morneau, staff member for the Chief of Naval Operations.
Glenda was also a personal friend of the late Carl Brashear during his civil service days at the Naval Base in Norfolk, Virginia.
Phillip M. Brashear
- President of the Carl Brashear Foundation
- CW4 and CH-47D 'Chinook' helicopter pilot attached to 5-159th Aviation Regiment, Fort Eustis, VA
- Army and Air Force UH-60 Weapon System Support Manager for Defense Supply Center Richmond
- Trustee at Greater Nazarene Baptist Church Mechanicsville, Va.
- Sports Local volunteer in Sandston, Va. YMCA and Youth Leagues
- Former Chief Warrant Officer Four and Blackhawk Maintenance Test Pilot in the Virginia Army National Guard
- Former Combat Veteran in Operation Iraqi Freedom from January 2006 through February 2007
- Former Combat Veteran of Stabilization Force Ten in Bosnia-Herzegovina from October 2001 through April 2002
- 1999 graduate of Bluefield College with a Bachelor's of Science Degree in Organizational Management Development
- Former Army National Guard Technician Sandston Va. from April 1994 through May 2001 1991 graduate of Army Warrant Officer Flight School Program
- Former Naval Aviation Depot employee from Sep 1987 through March 1994
- Former Norfolk Naval Shipyard employee from Dec 1983 through Sep 1987
- Former Engine Mechanic (VAW 78) and Helicopter Aircrewman (HM-18) in the United States Naval Reserves from Sep 1981 through Sep 1989
- Wrestling Scholarship Athlete at Old Dominion University September 1980 through June 1981
- 1980 graduate of I.C. Norcom High School Portsmouth Va.
- Guest speaker for Black History Sunday Celebration at the Ebenezer Baptist Church in Virginia Beach, VA, Feb 12
- Guest on the cable show "Lavoz Latina" with host David Aponte Sr. for Black History Month presentation in Richmond, VA, Feb 12 Video
- Guest speaker for Black History Month Celebration at the Fort Story-Little Creek Dining Facility in Virginia Beach, VA, Feb 12
- Guest speaker for Black History Month at the Center for Naval Aviation Technical Training Unit, Naval Air Station Norfolk, VA, Feb 12 Story
- Special guest of the USS Dwight Eisenhower (CVN 69) for its Black History Celebration at the Naval Base Norfolk, VA, Feb 12 Story / Pictures
- Keynote speaker for Navy Cargo Battalion One Black History Month Celebration at Cheatam Annex in Williamsburg, VA, Feb 12
- Guest speaker for Navy Helicopter Unit HM-15 for their Black History Month Celebration at the Naval Air Station Norfolk, VA, Feb 12
- Guest speaker at the Naval Hospital's Black History Month Celebration in Groton, CT, Feb 12
- Guest speaker at Highland Springs High School Black History Month Celebration in Highland Springs, VA, Feb 12
- Guest speaker at Point Option High School in Newport News, VA, for their Black History Month acknowledgement, Feb 12
- Carl Brashear Presentation for the Historical Diving Society Conference held at the Mariner's Museum in Newport News, VA, Oct 11
- Keynote Speaker for the Afloat Training Group Norfolk Naval Base Khaki Ball held at the VA Beach Double Tree Hotel, Oct 11
- Keynote Speaker for the 'Dining In' held by the Navy Cargo Handling Battalion ONE at the Port of York Coast Guard Training Center in Yorktown, VA, Oct 11
- Keynote Speaker at the Youth Aeronautics Educational Foundation Annual Banquet held at the Colonial Heritage Golf Course in Williamsburg, VA, Oct 11
- Presentation for the Excellence in Government Fellows Leadership Program Conference held for GS 14-15 Government employees at the Sheraton Waterside Hotel in
Norfolk, VA, Oct 11
- Carl Brashear Award presenter at the Khaki Ball for the Chief Association held in Groton, CT, Sep 11
- Graduation speaker at the Petersburg Federal Corrections Institution (Medium) in Petersburg, VA, Jun 11
- Motivational presentation for the Youth Career Café at the Patrick Henry Mall in Newport News, VA, Jun 11
- Banquet speaker for the Virginia Wing Headquarters of the Civil Air Patrol VAWG Encampment 2011 held at Ft. Pickett, VA, Jul 11 (website)
- Guest Celebrity Traffic Reporter on WVEC Channel 13 Daybreak Show. Phillip did the local traffic with WVEC's own Benita Adams, weather with Craig Moeller, and Daybreak hosts LaSalle Blanks and Vanessa Coria, May 11
- Air Force article link
- Guest speaker for Navy Mid Atlantic Region Command's Black History Month Program at the Norfolk Naval Base, Mar 11
- Guest speaker for Lockheed Martin Center for Innovation's Black History Program in Suffolk, VA, Feb 11
- Guest speaker at the Federal Bureau of Investigations' Black History Month Program in Richmond, VA, Feb 11
- Radio interview on FM WBOB 'The Promise' 107.3 with Penda Agie for Black History Month, Feb 11
- Black History presentation featuring the late BMCM 'Master Diver' Carl Brashear onboard the USS Wisconsin at the Nauticus Maritime Center in Norfolk, VA, Feb 11
- Guest speaker for Navy Expeditionary Medical Support Command' Black History Program at Cheatam Annex, Yorktown, VA, Feb 11
- Radio interview on AM KAOI 1110 Maui Hawaii with Ron Winckler for Black History Month, Feb 11
- Guest speaker for the Deaconess Ministry's Black History month Celebration at Mount Bethel Baptist Church in Kenbridge, VA, Feb 11
- Guest speaker for Dr. Martin Luther King Birthday Program for Navy Reserve Forces Command, Naval Support Activity at the Norfolk Naval Base, Jan 11
- Archived highlights . . .
Recent Career Highlights